The writer is the person who stays in the room.
Writing is a creative act. It asks us to summon thought, experience and imagination and translate them into words. This act of translation requires a willingness to enter the unknown, to face the blank page and hold the tension of what is and what might be.
The work I do with writers is personalized and collaborative. Coaching sessions are conducted by phone, Skype or in person, and can include any of the following:
– writing prompts
– creation of a writing schedule
– a deep reading of what you’ve written, reflected back to you
– suggestions of what to write next
– conversations that address the structure and scope of a work-in-progress
– discussions of writing craft
– exploration of your writing process
– a literary context for your work, other than your own
– honest, incisive and supportive feedback
Writing is a solitary task. Working with a writing coach won’t change that, nor will it make the process easy. But you will be doing it within an organized structure, with deadlines, feedback and a supportive voice that encourages you to keep going, especially when the going gets tough. A voice that helps you stay in the room.
To discuss a personalized coaching plan, please contact me for a complimentary 30-minute introductory phone call.